Showing 25–39 of 39 results
Very rare plan of the town engraved by A. Soli and published by M. Florimi. [cod.1068/15]
An interesting early map of the region of Lucca in Tuscany from Coronelli’s Corso Geografico Universale published in Venice in 1690. Vincenzo Maria Coronelli is widely recognised as one of Italy?s most famous and greatest cartographers. He received an ecclesiastical education at the convent of the Minor Conventuals and also studied theology in Rome. However, his interests in geography and cartography were awoken early in his ecclesiastical career and never suppressed. He made very famous globes
Very fine prospect plan of Siena from the Merian’s Topographia Italiae published in Frankfurt in 1640. Mattheus Merian was a notable Swiss engraver, born in Basle in 1593, who subsequently studied in Zurich and then moved to Frankfurt where he met Theodore de Bry, whose daughter he married in 1617. They had numerous children together, including a daughter, Anna Maria Sibylla Merian, born in 1647. She became a pioneering naturalist and illustrator. Two of their sons followed Merian into publishing. In Frankfurt Mattheus Merian spent most of his working life and with Martin Zeiller (1589-1661), a German Geographer, and later with his own son, he produced a series of Topographia consisting of 21 volumes including a very large number of town plans as well as maps of most countries. He also took over and completed the later parts and editions of the Grand Voyages and Petits Voyages originally started by De Bry in 1590.
A fine miniature map of Siena from “Theatro del Mondo” the famous plagiarised version of Ortelius’ pocket atlas published specifically for the Italian market by Pietro Marchetti. First printed in Brescia this is the really rare Venetian edition of 1667. Italian text on verso. [cod.176/15]
Detailed map of Tuscany and the State of the Church including a decorative cartouche with title and St. Peter and Paul. From Zeiller’s “Itinerarium Italia Nova Antiqua” published by Merian in Franckfurt in 1640. Mattheus Merian was a notable Swiss engraver, born in Basle in 1593, who subsequently studied in Zurich and then moved to Frankfurt where he met Theodore de Bry, whose daughter he married in 1617. They had numerous children together, including […]
Nice small maps covering the Lucca area in Tuscany from the Mercator Hondius “Atlas Minor” published in Amsterdam in 1648 at Jannsonius with german text on verso. In 1607 Jodocus Hondius published a reduced size version of Mercator’s “Atlas”, itself suitably titled “Atlas Minor”. The maps were copied from those of the great cartographer Mercator of around 1580-90 or were reductions of Hondius’ own maps of 1606. [cod.278/15]
Fine map of Lucca from the french edition of Atlas major published in Amsterdam in 1667. The famous Blaeu’s firm was founded in 1596 by Willem Janzoon Blaeu (1571-1638) then continued by his two sons Cornelius (1616-1648) and Johannis (1596-1673). Their greatest cartographic achievement was the publication of the magnificent Atlas Major with 600 maps all finely engraved and embellished by elaborate cartouches, heraldic detail and especially by splendid […]
Uncommon regional map showing Tuscany after the third independence war so with the new name of “Toscana” without the ancient title of “Gran Ducato”. The map was finely engraved by Pietro Allodi after a drawn by Filippo Naymiller. From Atlante di geografia universale: cronologico, storico, statistico e letterario. Milan, 1860 at Tipografia Pagnoni. Includes a second sheet of text providing really interesting geographical and statistical information on Florence and the other cities of the Italian region.
Nice and detailed map from “Parallela geographica Italiae veteris et novae”, a very rare work by Philip Briet published in Paris in 1649 at Sebastian Cramoisy. [cod.272/15]
A very attractive “vue d’optique” of Holy Trinity Bridge in Florence. taken from Ponte Vecchio. This unusual kind of print was designed to be looked in a peep box which made the prints seem to be in three dimensions. Published in Paris at Daumont in 1780 ca.