Beautiful large pictorial map of the northern part of the former Spanish Protectorate in present-day Morocco, which existed from 1912 to 1956. The Spanish protectorate in Morocco was established in 1912 by a treaty between France and Spain that converted the Spanish sphere of influence in Morocco into a formal protectorate.
The map was designed by caricaturist and graphic designer, Francisco Lopez Rubio [1895-1965] as part of Cartographica Hispanica, a collection of 6 pictorial cartoon maps of parts of Spain issued in Barcelona in 1940 by López Rubio and his partner Manuel L. Ortega. The map covers the area from Gibraltar to Fes, and from Kenitra to Berkane is richly embellished by wonderful vignettes showing differences between the traditional Arab & bedouin culture of North Africa and modern 20th Century industry & technology. An interesting central feature is the giant obelisk (the present-day Monument del Llano Amarillo) which dominates the landscape around the settlement of Ketama and the wall from west to east across the centre of the map that delineates the border between the French and Spanish colonial regions.